A sexy, clean wave favourite from Misfit Surfboards, the Shadow Puppet is a smooth riding surfboard geared for better waves and for helping you to weave through that perfect barrel. The elliptical outline, coupled with the refined round tail offers extra hold for critical positioning.
+ Paddles well and holds in a steeper wave face
+ Maintains composure when the conditions are bigger and/or more critical
+ Fantastic, smooth ride on good quality, clean waves
+ Fun to surf as a quad but is more enjoyable surfing it as a thruster. For better waves, I preferred the feel of the thruster fin setup
– In small waves and/or mushy conditions, the Misfit Surfboards Shadow Puppet gets by but you really have to drive and pump to get enough speed to work the wave
The Misfit Shapes Shadow Puppet surfboard at 6’4 x 20 x 2 3/4 at 37.8 L’s of volume. My favourite fin setup for the Shadow Puppet was the Futures MB2 3-fin thrusters. I know, unlike me to go a thruster over a quad but, for the waves I surfed with this board most of the time, I preferred the thruster fin setup. As always, you can see the full standard Misfit Surfboards Shadow Puppet dimensions and volumes at the bottom of this page.
Best Wave Type
Head high to well overhead (I surfed it to just under double overhead), punchy, powerful, fast, hollow, clean, good quality waves…our favourite ones 🙂
- Standard single to double concave bottom contour
- Elliptical outline with pulled in nose and nice, refined round tail for an extra hold in the tube but also allows for smooth transitions from rail to rail
- The optional squash tail excels in the pocket and has great release in all parts of the wave
- Modern rocker that paddles well but with a nose rocker and a tail lift that allows you to sit in a steeper wave face and/or on a big drop
- Channel Islands Fred Rubble Surfboard Review: I know, I know it’s not really meant to be a ‘good wave’ board but I love the smooth feel of the round tail in bigger surf
- Eye Symmetry The Six Feet Surfboard Review: a similar outline and similarly intended for good waves
- Lost Mini Driver Surfboard Review: intended as a versatile all rounder for good waves and small, mushy stuff
- Stacey Surfboards Wolf Surfboard Review: a really cool, shrunken down step up design by Stacey Surfboards. Indo tested and approved!
Hello! Welcome to Benny’s Boardroom! This is the Shadow Puppet by Misfit Surfboards -or- Misfit Shapes with a really, really cool looking spray. I dig it.
I went and spoke with the good people at Misfit Surfboards. I talked to Dave and Chris. This time of year when the waves can get good, we said “Let’s start off by reviewing a board that is meant for good, powerful, clean waves.” Chris recommended the Shadow Puppet and this thing is great, man. I surfed this up the coast in punchy, powerful, hollow waves from a couple of feet overhead, really nice shoulders but fast, hollow and this board worked the treat.
You can see that it has this nice elliptical outline, nice round tail that holds in a steeper wave face and it has this nice, modern rocker. It does paddle well but it does have a bit of a nose rocker and then a little bit of tail lift as well so that again when you’re taking off a steeper wave that nose will sit in a steeper face on a drop. It has quite standard single to double concave bottom contour that again is great for a modern all-rounder but this is the board that you want to take out when the waves are good.
I did surf this when it was little bit small, a little bit more mushy. It was fine but it really likes having a little bit of push and power behind the wave. It felt that I really had to drive hard off of my bottom foot a lot and pump a lot to get speed when the waves weren’t as good. But again, for good clean waves, for good quality waves this Shadow Puppet by Misfit Surfboards is fantastic. I really, really enjoyed surfing this. I’m actually even surfing it as a thruster with these Lost Future fins and really enjoying those. Normally I would surf this as quad but again for better waves, I like the feel of a thruster.
That is my take on the Shadow Puppet by Misfit. If you’ve had a go on the Shadow Puppet, please, as always, let me know what you think and thank you so much for watching Benny’s Boardroom.
Outro: Hello, you wily Shadow Puppet. Delicately weave me through the barrel and then spit me out the other side.
Stock Standard Dimensions & Volume
Latest posts by Benny (see all)
- Christenson Surfboards Fish Surfboard Review - July 30, 2017
- JS Industries Flying Pony Surfboard Review - March 8, 2017
- Neal Purchase Jnr DUO (Dual Single Fin) Surfboard Review - October 19, 2016
Submit your review