Super short, wide and flat, this is the board for young punters or anyone looking to squeeze more fun out of smaller waves. This is the Psillakis Surfboards MP Diamond surfboard review.
+ Flat, short and fast!
+ Nimble and responsive even when the waves don’t offer you much to play with
+ The flyer plus diamond tail is a winner for all around small wave surfing
+ Apparently, it’s good for airs if you do them?
– I ordered the MP Diamond a bit too small at 6’0 and I had some trouble getting up and going in sub-chest high waves. I think a 6’2 would have been perfect
The Psillakis MP Diamond surfboard at 6’0 x 20 3/4 x 2 3/4, volume unknown. Note, Mike Psillakis shapes all of his boards by hand to meet the riders specifications so full standard surfboard volumes and dimensions are not available.
Best Wave Type
Average conditions from chest high to just overhead. The outline likes a flatter face but will handle a steeper face and is designed to extract speed out of weaker waves.
- Short, wide outline
- Flat rocker
- Slight single to double concave ‘V’ bottom contour off of the tail
- Available is 3 or 5-fin setup
- Flyer leads to a diamond tail
- Channel Islands Weirdo Ripper surfboard review: It’s weird and it rips! The Channel Islands Weirdo Ripper surfboard excels is smaller, better quality waves. I love this board when it lines up
- JS Dropped Swallow surfboard review: a fun, cool option for more average small to medium sized waves
- Chilli Rare Bird surfboard review: explosively fast & lively small to medium size wave all rounder
- Haydenshapes Hypto Krypto surfboard review: a ripping little all rounder for small to medium sized waves, the Haydenshapes Hypto Krypto surfboard is a modernised performance fish on steroids
Hey, welcome back to Benny’s Boardroom! I hope you are doing well and I hope you’re getting lots of waves. I buy, ride, and review surfboards because I love surfboards and surfing and I’ve got a surfboard-buying problem, which is OK. My wife tells me that there are worse things to be addicted to.
This is the Psillakis [00:00:30] MP Diamond surfboard. A little while back, Mike Psillakis of Psillakis Surfboards came in and we had a little session on how to order a custom surfboard just in case you’re going out and looking to order your first custom. I’ve ordered a few customs from Mike; that’s how I thought to bring him in because he gets really excited when he goes to think through about how to create a custom surfboard for you. This is my custom MP Diamond, which came out of that session.
The MP Diamond is Mike’s answer to a small, really lively, fast, high-performance [00:01:00] small wave board that will just fly across flat sections, turn really hard in the pocket and do just about anything in those smaller, weaker days. It’s a typical shorter, fatter, wider outline. It is super-short, super-fat, super-wide, and fast when you get it going.
I failed and ordered this board a touch too small so in that waist-high range, which is where this thing should really excel, it was harder for me to catch waves and was a little bit slow. [00:01:30] Once the waves got up to about shoulder-high or even head-high, then I started to see the potential of this MP Diamond.
A couple of key design features: the diamond tail, of course. Mike has a couple of wings to take the width through the center of the board and pulls that width into tail with less area. The thickness through the center of the board thins out in the back, as well. That tail design gives you a lot of drive and will still get you across flat sections. [00:02:00] The MP Diamond has a big, double-barrel V bottom contour at the back of the board. You can use that to transition rail-to-rail and pump to generate speed when the waves aren’t providing much love.
That is the MP Diamond surfboard by Mike Psillakis. If you had a go on the MP Diamond or another Psillakis surfboard, please let me know what you think. I would love to hear what you think about his boards in the comments. Thank you very much for watching Benny’s Boardroom.
Stock Standard Dimensions & Volume
Mike Psillakis shapes all of his boards by hand to meet the riders specifications so full standard surfboard volumes and dimensions are not available. For more information on the Psillakis MP Diamond, visit Psillakis Surfboards website.
Submit your review